The Birchtree Center is an expanding not-for-profit organization based in Newington, NH, that provides year-round educational services to students with autism. The Birchtree Center offers comprehensive training and supervision within a supportive educational team environment. The mission of The Birchtree Center is to promote independence, engaging relationships and productive lives for children and youth with autism at school, home and in the community.
The Registered Nurse serves as a consultant to The Birchtree Center’s year-round special educational day program for students with autism aged 2-21 years. All responsibilities are completed in the context of meeting requirements set forth by NH Department of Education.
- Maintain organized and updated medical files including computer-based systems
- Provide prompt and competent medical attention in the event of student or staff injury at Birchtree; provide prompt and competent medication attention in the event of a student illness
- Respond to day-to-day student-specific medical needs
- Provide staff-wide training specific to: first aid, CPR, universal precautions, administration of Epinephrine (Epi Pen), and effective hand washing procedures
- Provide trainings relative to student-specific protocols (e.g., asthma, allergy, seizure) or other medical procedures (e.g., tube feeding/venting)
- Responsible for safe storage, administration, and documentation of medication administration
- Conduct management training and support on Code Blue response team procedures
- Collaborate with Director of Student Services and Executive Director in making decisions about unusual medical situations
- Provide parent contact and communication for student-specific medical needs
- Responsible for development of health-related policies and procedures
The successful candidate must have 3 years experience working with children preferably in a school, special education or pediatric setting. Must have a nursing degree. Understanding of autism and experience working with students with autism is a plus.
To perform essential functions of the job, must be physically capable of standing, stretching, bending, walking, running, and lifting/transporting a minimum of 60 lbs. Must be capable of moving and thinking quickly under stressful situations and able to function in a fast-paced environment.
Qualified candidates should send cover letter, resume and salary history to Sarah Ouellette, Human Resources Director, email@example.com.